From the book
The CWGEA was organized in the United States in 1978 to bring our far-flung members closer together. Incorporated in 1983 as a non-profit corporation exclusively for educational and charitable purposes, its Articles of Incorporation are these:
- To provide education for members, including regular newsletters and conferences.
- To foster good health by supporting nutritional awareness through education, including conducting nutritional education in public schools and other institutions.
- To support international harmony among our members through education and meetings.
- To insure that no part of the net earnings of the Corporation shall inure to the benefit of any member or individual.
- To insure that this association is open to all people regardless of race, color, creed, sex, age, or national origin.
The CWGEA has begun building networks to make information, resources, an d raw materials available to cooperatively run whole grain bakeries across North America. Regional coordinators have been set up, and a newsletter is published. Every summer, a conference is organized by members, with workshops, guest instructors, recipe exchanges, and extensive informal discussions. Members travel great distances for the week-long gathering in a park location, to share, to enjoy, and to be recharged with collective energy.
The CWGEA (originally entitled the Whole Grain Collective Bakers International) has held an international perspective from the tart, with contacts in Canada, South America, and Europe. We feel it’s especially important to share across national boundaries, increasing our knowledge of techniques and of grain other than wheat, and bring to all people the consciousness of whole foods, self-reliance, and working cooperatively. Our food system now functions globally, and hence it is important that an awareness of its nature and of the alternatives to it be spread across the world.
CWGEA, P.O. Box 2755, Ann Arbor, MI 48206
Those interested in cooperative businesses in the 21st Century may find the following organizations helpful:
- coming in December 2015